Aubergine Katsu Curry is a traditional Japanese favourite that is simple, but delicious and looks great at a dinner party. This recipe is suitable for vegetarians, but if you are cooking for meat eaters, simply swap the aubergine for flattened chicken breast and leave in the oven for 20 mins until cooked through.
Preparation time: 10 mins Cooking time: 45 mins
- 2 aubergines cut into 1/2cm discs
- 400ml can of coconut milk
- 250g of basmati or long grain rice
- 4 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp of plain flour
- 2 tbsp of honey
- 3 tbsp of curry powder
- 100g of breadcrumbs
- 1 cucumber
- In a bowl, combine 3 tbsp of flour with enough water to form a runny paste and season with salt and pepper before adding the sliced aubergines. Toss in the mixture until well coated.
- Pour the breadcrumbs onto a plate and one by one put dip in each aubergine slice and turn to ensure they are fully coated in breadcrumbs.
- Heat oven to 160C. Heat some oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry aubergines in small batches for 5 mins on each side. Ensure you add a little more oil to the pan between batches. Place each slice on a baking tray once cooked and when all slices are cooked and browned, place in the oven for 10-15 mins.
- Cook rice to packed instructions
- Wipe out the pan and heat some more oil. Cook the onion for 2-3 mins on a medium heat until softened.
- Add the garlic and curry powder and cook for 1 min, before adding 1 tbsp of flour and the honey and stir to make a paste.
- Carefully add the coconut to the mixture a little at a time to make a smooth sauce and simmer on a low heat for 10 mins, if the sauce gets to thick, add a splash of water.
- Slice a cucumber with a peeler to create long, thin cucumber ribbons.
- Serve the rice with cucumber slices and the crispy aubergines and pour the katsu sauce over the aubergine slices.