Courgette, spinach and ricotta cannelloni is a delicious vegetarian alternative to mince cannelloni and has the benefits of being cheap, healthy and nutritious. Use this recipe as a base and play around with different vegetables, herbs and seasoning to find the perfect balance for you.
Preparation time: 10 mins Cooking time: 30-40 mins
- 2 courgettes
- 200g ricotta
- 200g fresh spinach
- Fresh lasagna sheets or dried sheets
- One small onion finely chopped
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 200g of grated mozzarella
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- In a frying pan, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and fry the onions on a medium heat for 1-2 mins until softened.
- Add the courgettes and cook for a further 3 mins before adding the spinach and cooking until wilted.
- Add ricotta to the pan and cook for 1-2 mins until well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile in a separate pan add 1 tbsp of olive and fry the garlic on a medium heat for 1-2 mins taking care not to burn.
- Add the tinned tomatoes to the pan, bring the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Season the tomato mixture to taste.
- If using dry pasta cook sheets to packet instructions and pour over some olive oil to prevent them from sticking.
- In a square or rectangular oven proof dish, divide the courgette and spinach mixture evenly between the pasta sheets and roll into tubes.
- Cover the cannelloni tubes in the tomato mixture and top with the grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 mins at 180C until the cheese is golden brown and the cannelloni is cooked through.